|LETTER TO EDITOR
|Year : 2022 | Volume
| Issue : 2 | Page : 234
How uniform is the utilization pattern of Janani suraksha yojana in sikkimese population: A community-based study
Eden Jamyang Bhutia1, Dechenla Tshering Bhutia2, Jayden Lhamu Bhutia1
1 MBBS, Postgraduate Student, Department of Community Medicine, Sikkim Manipal Institute of Medical Sciences, Gangtok, Sikkim, India
2 MPH, Professor & Head, Department of Community Medicine, Sikkim Manipal Institute of Medical Sciences, Gangtok, Sikkim, India
|Date of Submission||13-Dec-2021|
|Date of Decision||13-Apr-2022|
|Date of Acceptance||29-Apr-2022|
|Date of Web Publication||12-Jul-2022|
Eden Jamyang Bhutia
Department of Community Medicine, Sikkim Manipal Institute of Medical Sciences, 5th Mile Tadong, Gangtok, Sikkim
Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None
|How to cite this article:|
Bhutia EJ, Bhutia DT, Bhutia JL. How uniform is the utilization pattern of Janani suraksha yojana in sikkimese population: A community-based study. Indian J Public Health 2022;66:234
|How to cite this URL:|
Bhutia EJ, Bhutia DT, Bhutia JL. How uniform is the utilization pattern of Janani suraksha yojana in sikkimese population: A community-based study. Indian J Public Health [serial online] 2022 [cited 2022 Aug 13];66:234. Available from: https://www.ijph.in/text.asp?2022/66/2/234/350670
Janani Suraksha Yojana (JSY), a conditional cash transfer scheme, was launched under NRHM in 2005 to promote institutional deliveries in India., Since the launch of JSY, institutional delivery rate in India has increased and the same has been reflected in Sikkim as well. Yet, after all these years of launching the scheme, there are still certain proportions of women who are not delivering in the health-care institutions. The gaps in the utilization pattern of JSY scheme need to be identified so that women who actually need the benefits of the scheme can utilize it.
In view of this, we conducted a cross-sectional study in the urban and rural field practice areas of Sikkim Manipal Institute of Medical Sciences, with the aim of assessing the utilization pattern of JSY. The study included 146 women who had delivered in 2019 and were residents of the study centers. They were interviewed using a predesigned and a pretested questionnaire. R software version 1.4.1106 (2021) was used for data analysis.
In the present study, it was seen that out of the total study participants, 33.6% (49) of them had utilized the JSY scheme while the remaining 66.4% (97) had not. The reasons for nonutilization were found to be: no information about the scheme in 68% (66), 16.5% (16) were not eligible, 7.2% (2) had no bank accounts while 6.3% (6) did not have the required documents to avail the scheme. Despite the low utilization rates of the scheme, all of the participants had institutional deliveries.
A lot of variation was also observed in the timing of receiving the cash benefit among the beneficiaries. Majority of them received it 1–2 months after the delivery, while only a mere 8.2% received it immediately after delivery. A significant association was seen between information regarding JSY given by the ASHAs to the study participants and the utilization of the JSY scheme, as the participants who were informed about JSY were utilizing the benefits, compared to those who were not.
The study revealed that only a lesser percentage of women were utilizing this scheme. There are still gaps present in the process of implementation of JSY scheme specifically in the form of lack of awareness regarding JSY and the delay in cash disbursement.
Our study highlights the importance of creating awareness regarding the scheme among the concerned population and proper monitoring of the implementation, so that optimum utilization of the JSY scheme is ensured.
We would like to thank the Social Welfare Department, Government of Sikkim, and the Anganwadi workers of the ICDS centers.
Financial support and sponsorship
Conflicts of interest
There are no conflicts of interest.
| References|| |