Year : 2010 | Volume
: 54 | Issue : 1 | Page : 54-
|How to cite this article:|
. Association News.Indian J Public Health 2010;54:54-54
|How to cite this URL:|
. Association News. Indian J Public Health [serial online] 2010 [cited 2019 Sep 20 ];54:54-54
Available from: http://www.ijph.in/text.asp?2010/54/1/54/70819
Code of Conduct for Public Health Workers and Officials
Prepared by: IPHA Gujarat State Branch
This code of conduct is based on moral values from professional point of view. We make a sincere appeal that let the concerned Health Workers, Supervisors, Nurses, Doctors and Officials follow it with pride and contribute towards great humanitarian task of health protection, promotion and achieving Holistic Health.
The entire code of conduct has been presented in form of 33 formulas of vows.
1. Achievement of Health is a human right, I will work hard for the creation of a healthy society.
2. I will realize and follow the seven steps of an al round Holistic Health concept.
Proper Food i.e. balanced food providing adequate calories, calcium, vitamins, required protein and iron with 25% salad and 25% fruits as per ideal diet. Mediation and Pranayam.Laughter : We will make everybody laugh because Laughter brings good health and happiness. Exercise : There is no substitute for exercise. Those who perform regular exercise, are sure to be healthy. Yoga : for healthy body and healthy mind. Will regularly take a vow in early morning that I will think god, see good, hear good and appreciate good qualities of others and do good to others. Will become positive in attitude and act positively and creatively.
3. Will realize that 'Holistic Health' is every body's right and my duty. I will impart intensive health education and proper understanding, and will inspire all to take preventive measures to avoid illness and to have better health.
4. Will impart total and all inclusive information about all existing facilities made available both by government & private sector to combat ever increasing illness and modern diseases, i.e. services offered by Primary Health Centres, Sub-Centres, Anganwadies, Community Health Centres and Civil Hospitals providing free or reduced rate treatment. I will deploy low-cost and effective education aids to the maximum extent, while making individual, group and community contacts, so that no one is deprived of such useful information about health and medical services because information is power and we want to EMPOWER PEOPLE.
5. Will create necessary environment for imparting intensive health education and qualitative services and will remain empathetic to beneficiaries.
6. Will get the well-illustrated simple but literature prepared and make arrangement for effective distribution to all concerned parties.
7. Will periodically update my knowledge on health and will communicate to the people either personally during my field visits or through media and thus develop empowered people.
8. My objective is to prevent the disease before it appears. Therefore, I will give it a priority and will never fail to get the preventive measures taken by the people for the people.
9. Will also make efforts in the direction of upgrading health standard.
10. Will enlighten the pains and sufferings of the patients and beneficiaries with intensive health education and better services alongwith hopes, sympathy and sweet words of solace and prayer alongwith medicine.
11. Will see that the daughters, girls and women get adequate opportunities for nutrition, health, education and development in the society. I will strictly oppose the evil kind of approach shown towards them and will strive for equality of boys and girls, men and women.
12. Will not be prey to any kind of addiction. I will take adequate care in this regard. I will give active support in the de-addiction movement so that none in my friend circle, family and community becomes prey to the addiction of Gutka (tobacco), Bidi, Cigarette, Wine, Liquor or any such harmful substance.
13. Will advocate and make efforts to see that the rights guaranteed to the children in the constitution of India such as Right to Survive, Right to nutritious food, Right to protection, Right to better health care, Right to entertainment, Right to education etc. are enjoyed by all children.
14. Will insist for purity of means and will leap mu thoughts, speech and actions consistent with each other. I will discharge all my responsibilities and duties entrusted to me, with total sincerity and commitment. I will meet and receive one and all with a smiling face. I will become soft, modest, hearty, honest, dutiful and serviceable. I will set an example of true professionalism. I will show love and compassion towards patients and beneficiaries and their family members.
15. Will use the very effective method of communication i.e. counseling to bring desire change in human behavour. In counseling, I will receive my client with welcome smile and see him with love and affection as I do with my relatives. I will ask him/her meaningful questions and will make analysis of his/her social conditions. I will have purposeful discussion with him/her and will try to solve the problem in participatory manner. I will explain in details the benefits available from government schemes; how; when and what. I will make a review of decision taken by my client after my consultancy and counseling and will follow up in person or through correspondence without any distinctions of religion, caste, language etc.
16. Will provide and illustration of healthy life style from my actions. I will follow healthy habits and bring necessary positive changes in my life.
17. Will advocate 'Mother and child care' and will give top priority to the safe motherhood and improvement of health of mother and child. I will not fail in explaining the benefit of keeping a three years' gap between the two births and will show them the condom, copper-T and pills to prevent the pregnancy and explain their advantages and disadvantages. I will also explain to them the schedule and benefits of immunization.
18. In order to reduce the higher maternal and child death rate and birth rate I will explain five main advantages of late marriage as well as five disadvantages of early marriage. I will explain the benefits of small family norms. Instead of govt. slogan of 'stop after two children' I will propagate a new concept: "stop after two healthy and civilized children".
19. Will co-operate and co-ordinate with all divisions and branches of Health Department alongwith those of education and development departments.
20. Will give my active contribution in all innovative and preventive health programmes of Govts.
21. Will be engaged in healthy discussion, not in contradiction. I will win the hearts of people with my sweet tongue. I will see that the benefits of various government schemes such as Chiranjivi Yojana, Daughter Scheme etc. reach to deprived section of people.
22. Will conduct a campaign in collaboration with community based organization for publicity of balanced food with a rich iron, vitamins and proteins, rather than fast food, and for delicious healthy drinks like one prepared from ginger and lemon juice instead ot unhealthy and non-nutritious costly drinks like coke and pepsi. I will advocate for Gandhiji's pet naturopathy and sure way of affordable and efficient indigenous treatment.
23. Due to inadequate provision of lack of priority for public health a lot of damage is done to public and private health sectors. If enough fund is allotted for health of family members alongwith proper understanding and if govt. / local self governments & panchayats make maximum investment in public health, the disease can be prevented and better returns and earnered. Therefore, I will provide proper guidance to all concerned towards higher investment in public and personal health.
24. Will prepare or get an edited copy of the findings of useful research studies, success stories and case-studies on health. I will see that such documents are sent to all concerned and utilized.
25. Will be ever ready to accept the challenges in the field of public health under guidance of experts. I will explain to people to divert their expenses towards nutritious food from that of fast food and a useless food-stuff.
26. Will play the role of active and awakened researcher by experimenting for result innovative projects.
27. Will always be active to see that the infections are prevented and infectious diseases are strictly curbed.
28. Will always be active to solicit the co-operation of people's representatives, socio-religious leaders, educational and voluntary organizations, three tier Panchayati Raj Institutions and local bodies.
29. Will keep personal and private information of beneficiaries confidential.
30. I will not establish any physical relation with any citizen, especially poor, unable, helpless men or women. I will not use of my professional status to have sexual relations with anybody, and if I find others to be involved in such misuse, I will make efforts to prevent them from doing so. I will not act in a way to be physically, mentally of socially harmful to the beneficiaries or their relatives.
31 I will act with good a team spirit with my professional colleagues. I will not be prejudiced to any medical-system or any pathy and will keep my conduct totally impartial.
32. I will try to follow this teaching of Maharshi Patanjali: "Love each one with each breath you take and beg for pardon and give pardon at the time of mistake".
33. I will be constantly engaged in reading, thinking, mediating, discussing and implementing about holistic health concept and make efforts for others to act accordingly, even while not on duty or even after of retirement.