Users Online: 662 Home Print this page Email this page Small font sizeDefault font sizeIncrease font size
 

 

Home About us Editorial board Search Ahead of print Current issue Archives Submit article Instructions Subscribe Contacts Login 
     
DR. P.C. SEN MEMORIAL AWARD PAPER ON RURAL HEALTH PRACTICE
Year : 2004  |  Volume : 48  |  Issue : 4  |  Page : 171-180

A study on visual acuity and Vitamin A deficiency among primary school students in Naxalbari village, Darjeeling district of West Bengal


Department of Community Medicine, N.B. Medical College, Sushruta Nagar, Darjeeling, India

Correspondence Address:
S K Lahiri
Associate, Professor, N.B. Medical College, Sushruta Nagar - 734432, Darjeeling, West Bengal
India
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


PMID: 15709575

Rights and PermissionsRights and Permissions

331 primary school students studying from Nursery classes to Class IV in 2 randomly selected schools in Naxalbari Village in Darjeeling district of West Bengal were tested for visual acuity (VA), Vitamin A deficiency (VAD) and Bitot's spot. 329 students could be tested for visual acuity whereas all 331 students were tested for VAD and Bitot's spot. The prevalence of abnormal Visual Acuity (VA) (VA <6/9 in any eye) in this study group was 3.65% and it was highest in 7 - 8 years age group in both the sexes contributing to 75% of the total students having abnormal VA. All these children fell within 50th percentile of weight and height for their respective age and sex. Hindu & ST children accounted for 91.67% & 50% abnormal VA respectively; however, when presence of abnormal VA was compared with its absence between 2 sexes, Hindu and Muslim students and in different castes, no statistically significant differences were found (p >.05). Students of Class-I and Class-II contributed 25% and 50% respectively and together accounted for 75% of abnormal VA. Prevalence of VAD was 8.16%. Among sufferers of VAD Hindus (81.48%) and ST (51.85%) were the main contributors; the differences between presence and absence of VAD in 2 sexes, among 3 religious groups were not statistically significant (p > .05); however, differences among ST and NonSCST groups, and again SC, ST and Non-SCST groups were statistically significant (p < .05). Prevalence of Bitot's spot was 3.63%. Among the students having Bitot's spot, females (58.33%) outnumber the males (41.67%); but the difference between presence and absence of Bitot's spot in 2 sexes was not statistically significant (p>.05). 83.33% each of Hindus and STs had Bitot's spot. No SC and no Muslim student had this spot; the differences between presence and absence of Bitot's spot between Hindu and Christian students were statistically significant (p < .01); similarly when the findings were considered between ST and NonSCST students the difference was found to be statistically highly significant (p <.001).


[PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed295    
    Printed22    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded122    
    Comments [Add]    
    Cited by others 3    

Recommend this journal